Looking for inspiration?

Knowing what other investors are trading may give you useful insights into companies and sectors to research. It may help you spot opportunities, or help you consider where to start.

Take a closer look at the most commonly traded Australian shares based on contract note volumes (bought or sold) by CommSec clients to inspire you and kick start your share portfolio.

To view the most commonly traded international shares by CommSec clients, click here.

  1. Commonwealth Bank (CBA) jumped one spot and was the most traded stock on the Australian sharemarket last week. Buyers accounted for 72% of trades in the company. CBA had its first weekly advance on the market since mid-February, with its shares lifting by 4.25%. (Source: IRESS)

  2. National Australia Bank (NAB) jumped from third to second most traded stock. NAB shares rose by 3.3% last week, however fell by 34% in March and was the hardest hit of the four majors. NAB has one of the larger business banking divisions. (Source: IRESS)

  3. Trading in Afterpay (APT) remained heavy, with the buy-now-pay-later company lifting by 2.4% between 30 March and 3 April, which followed a 52% lift in its share price in the final week of March. Keep in mind that due to an almost complete standstill in retail trade in Australia, its shares plummeted by over 40% in March. Well-known retailers like Myer, Premier Investments, Adairs, Kathmandu and others have shut their doors temporarily as government restrictions keep people at home. (Source: IRESS)

  4. Westpac (WBC) shares rose by 4%, with buyers accounting for over 70% of trades in the bank. WBC shares along with the other banks slumped by around 30% in March as interest rates slumped to record lows and conditions grew more challenging. (Source: IRESS)

  5. ANZ Banking Group (ANZ) was the fifth most traded company on the ASX last week. Four of the five most traded stocks were banks. While shares in ANZ jumped by more than 4%, it is coming off the back of five consecutive weeks of declines. Financials, energy and property stocks have been the worst performers on the ASX since COVID-19 resulted in severe government restrictions on businesses and the Australian population. 

Login to CommSec to start researching

Login >

Important information

^Any securities noted in the most commonly traded shares by CommSec clients in the period quoted should not be considered as a recommendation. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. This does not represent a recommendation to buy, sell or hold shares, an endorsement or a guarantee in regard to the future performance of any share price.

The content is not a recommendation and has been prepared without taking account of the objectives, needs, financial and taxation situation of any particular individual. For this reason you should, before acting on the content, consider the appropriateness of it having regard to your objectives, needs, financial and taxation situation and if necessary, seek appropriate independent financial and taxation advice.

Commonwealth Securities Limited ABN 60 067 254 399, AFSL 238814 (CommSec) is a wholly owned but non-guaranteed subsidiary of Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL 234945 and a participant of the ASX Group and Chi-X Australia.

Commonwealth Securities Limited, Commonwealth Bank Place, 1 Harbour Street Sydney, NSW, 2000, Australia.