Can I buy shares for a minor?

CommSec cannot trade on behalf of a minor. You can however open an account in the name of an adult who will act as trustee until the minor turns 18. Once the minor has turned 18, the shares can be transferred into an account in their name.

To create an account in trust for a minor:

  • Click on the 'Join Now' icon on the CommSec homepage, select the product you would like to apply for and click 'Get Started'.
  • Under 'Which account would you like to apply for', select 'Trust' and 'Minor' for the trust type

Once you have completed the application, print out and submit your signed declaration form along with any identification (including child's certified birth certificate) and an original certified copy of the summary page of your trust deed (if applicable) via one of the following methods:



Locked Bag 22
Australia Square NSW 1215

We will endeavour to open the account within 3-5 business days of receiving your declaration, and you will receive an email with your account details and Client ID.

For any further information, or if you need assistance please call CommSec on 13 15 19 or +61 9115 1415 if calling from outside Australia (8am to 7pm, Sydney time, Monday to Friday) and an Equities Associate will be able to assist.


Please consider the product disclosure statement and terms and conditions document, available from, before making any decisions about the products and services offered by CommSec.

Answers others found helpful



This site is directed and available to and for the benefit of Australian residents only. © Commonwealth Securities Limited ABN 60 067 254 399 AFSL 238814 ("CommSec") is a wholly owned, but non guaranteed, subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL 234945 and both entities are incorporated in Australia with limited liability.

By clicking on the "Download the CommSec App" buttons above, you will be directed to or These sites are not affiliated with CommSec and may offer a different Privacy Policy and level of security.