Can I open a CommSec account if I live overseas?

Maybe. If you’re currently living overseas, you might be able to trade with us if you are CHESS sponsored with CommSec and you use an Australian bank account to settle your trades. However, restrictions may apply to applicants from certain jurisdictions, depending on legal and regulatory requirements. So in some cases, we may not be able to accept your application. If you’re not sure whether you can apply, please contact us to discuss your options.

Who can certify my identification if I’m outside Australia?

If you’re currently outside of Australia, documents can be certified by the following persons:

  • A solicitor or barrister qualified in Australia who holds a current practicing certificate. This includes Migration Agents who are also solicitors or barristers qualified in Australia.
  • CBA officers at offshore branches, as long as the officer has at least two years’ service with CBA or other Australian financial institutions.
  • Officers of any other Australian bank or other Australian financial institution (bank, building society, or credit union) or Australian finance company with offices offshore, as long as the officer has at least two years’ service with Australian financial institutions or Australian finance companies.
  • A Notary Public.
  • A judge, magistrate, registrar, or deputy registrar of an overseas court.
  • An Australian consular or diplomatic officer who holds one of the following positions: Consul-General, Consul, Vice-Consul, Trade Representative, Consular Agent, Ambassador, High Commissioner, Minister, Head of a Mission, Commissioner, Charge d'Affaires, Counsellor, Secretary or Attache at an Embassy, High Commissioner's office, Legation or similar.
  • A member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, CPA Australia, or the National Institute of Accountants with at least two years of continuous membership.

The certifier must state that the photocopied document is a true copy of the original. On the documentation, they must also include the following:

  • their full name
  • their signature
  • details of what qualification or occupation makes them eligible.

For help with opening a CommSec account, please contact us.



This site is directed and available to and for the benefit of Australian residents only. © Commonwealth Securities Limited ABN 60 067 254 399 AFSL 238814 ("CommSec") is a wholly owned, but non guaranteed, subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL 234945 and both entities are incorporated in Australia with limited liability.

By clicking on the "Download the CommSec App" buttons above, you will be directed to or These sites are not affiliated with CommSec and may offer a different Privacy Policy and level of security.