Changing an account from personal to company, individual to joint or trustee

This FAQ is about the desire to change the account ownership on your account. Examples are:

  • Changing from personal to a company or vice versa
  • Changing from individual to joint or vice versa
  • Changing or adding a trustee

To change the ownership of the account, you will need to:

  • Open a new account under the new structure; or
  • If you already have an account in the new structure, you can transfer shares by following the below.

Transferring shares

Once a new account is opened, if you are considering transferring existing shares to the new account, you will have to request an Off Market Transfer (OMT). For instructions on how to do this, search "How to transfer shares between two different parties" or look for help under Related Support.



This site is directed and available to and for the benefit of Australian residents only. © Commonwealth Securities Limited ABN 60 067 254 399 AFSL 238814 ("CommSec") is a wholly owned, but non guaranteed, subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL 234945 and both entities are incorporated in Australia with limited liability.

By clicking on the "Download the CommSec App" buttons above, you will be directed to or These sites are not affiliated with CommSec and may offer a different Privacy Policy and level of security.